3/23/09

RVOD055 As We Like It

(1952-ish, Educational-Short, b&w and color)

Riffers:

Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy

Beer: safer than food.

Rating: ***

In a Nutshell:


Beer!

Summary:

I guess it's what's for dinner.Beer! Lots of people have imbibed it throughout history. Babylonians, Egyptians and whatnot. The Founding Fathers of these United States drank it too. Beer is clean, and has many valuable nutrients. Beer makers spend a lot of money making it. They also pay a lot of taxes, and spend a great deal greasing the wheels of democracy to promote beer-friendly legislation. Bars are also pretty cool. Barkeeps are respected, law-abiding citizens and noted philanthropists to boot. And so, in summary: Beer! It exists!

Thoughts:

I’m not a beer-drinker (or an any-kind-of-alcohol drinker, really) so it’s hard for me to understand the religious fervor with which the narrator praises this near-ubiquitous beverage. Perhaps I could relate to it better if I removed the word “beer” from the equation an inserted one of my favorite indulgences, “Reeses Peanut Butter Cups” in its place. I’m going to go back and try...

Um... No. Doesn’t make any more sense to me that way, actually. I imagine that Peanut Butter Cups are of paramount important to those whose livelihoods depend on their continued manufacture and sale, but the most they’ve ever done for me is add a little bit of pleasure to my day. If someone ever makes a film about the immaculate conditions in which Peanut Butter Cups are made, harping on the extraordinarily healthy protein content of the peanuts before they harangue me about all the money they spent making the damn things, I will raise a skeptical eyebrow and think, “You, sirs, take Peanut Butter Cups way too seriously.”

Am I going crazy, or does the pamphlet in the upper right corner read 'Cancer Farts for Women'?  Click the picture for a closer view of what I'm talking about.Of course, the word substitution breaks down when you realize that Peanut Butter Cups aren’t addictive or intoxicating, and don’t make you run over people if you drive right after eating them. I don’t have to eat my Peanut Butter Cups responsibly, which I find rather comforting, actually.

The short’s narration is fast-paced, but Mike, Kevin and Bill manage to wedge their comments into the flow very nicely. As beer trickles down the serrated end of a giant, oblong something-or-other (probably a beer-making machine of some kind), Kevin calls it, “One of those new gaming computers.” As the narrator continues his unstinting praise for the civic involvement of beer manufacturers, Mike exclaims, “Beer for president! Change you can drink!” As the narrator extols the immaculate sterility of the beer served on tap at your local bar, Bill notes that it is then drunk “by diseased longshoremen.” When the narrator spends the last few minutes going over the necessity of beer to any decent standard of “gracious living”, all three riffers pop open cans and make drunken pronouncements while they belch and guzzle. The riffers work themselves into the short’s reckless pace so well, that I can’t really imagine it without them. They did a good job with this one, especially considering the source material.